The Recovering Non-Alcoholic

Random musings, fun facts and innuendo galore!

Thursday, December 15, 2005

Random Conversation of the Day


So I'm standing in one of two lines around 9:30 last night at Shaw's, waiting to purchase my grocery items. I'd gone to the store seeking a junk food fix and ended up getting some fruit and whole grains as well. Go figure.

Out of nowhere I hear the Lynn Police detail officer talking to someone about Patty Hearst, the newspaper heiress-turned-convicted bank robber. He was trying to remember the name of the group that had kidnapped her in the 70's. Ever the know-it-all, I called over to him, "Symbionese Liberation Army." He thanked me for providing the answer and we both went back to minding our own business.

A few minutes later, grocery bags in hand, I headed for the exit. The nice policeman caught up with me and asked "How did you know about Patty Hearst? That was a little before your time." I replied that I had read about the case, and asked the nice policeman whether he believed Hearst was a brainwashed victim or a willing participant in the hold-ups that led to her arrest and conviction on armed robbery charges. He thought she was just a wild rich kid having a good time with her machine gun. This led to a brief but interesting chat about countercultural values, and how the seventies were a reaction to the sixties.

We said goodnight, and I walked home to eat two english muffins covered with melted cheese and half a bag of brownie bites. Those things are yummy!

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

  • At 10:54 AM, Blogger Manda said…

    Isn't it weird how things like that happens.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home